Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Inside a dog, it's too dark to read.

A friend just tagged me with the Quotation Meme (derived from meme if you're more rhetorical than blogospherical), which basically means I get to participate in culturally sanctioned naval-gazing. Love that!

And since this is a semi-anonymous blog I won't be tagging anyone else. (Hope my friend doesn't mind.)

Anyhoo, my instructions are to go to a site with randomly selected quotations and pick 5 that somehow represent me. Kind of tetradian, when you think of it.

Anyhoo, the quotation I was hoping to see but, alas, didn't was my recently most-favorite quotation:

"Outside a dog, a book is your best friend. Inside a dog, it's too dark to read." Groucho Marx

So instead I chose these (I had the site randomize five times and made myself pick one of the 10 listed each time.):

Fear not that thy life shall come to an end, but rather fear that it shall never have a beginning.
John Henry Cardinal Newman

A friend is someone who will help you move. A real friend is someone who will help you move a body.
Unknown

Peace of mind is that mental condition in which you have accepted the worst.
Lin Yutang

The solution is to gradually become free of societal rewards and learn how to substitute for them rewards that are under one's own powers. This is not to say that we should abandon every goal endorsed by society; rather, it means that, in addition to or instead of the goals others use to bribe us with, we develop a set of our own.
Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi

We must never forget that art is not a form of propaganda; it is a form of truth.
John F. Kennedy (1917 - 1963)



Eh, I guess I need to sneak this one in too, at the end of a very long day:

Never again clutter your days or nights with so many menial and unimportant things that you have no time to accept a real challenge when it comes along. This applies to play as well as work. A day merely survived is no cause for celebration. You are not here to fritter away your precious hours when you have the ability to accomplish so much by making a slight change in your routine. No more busy work. No more hiding from success. Leave time, leave space, to grow. Now. Now! Not tomorrow!
Og Mandino (1923 - 1996)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home